905 Kirby, Tammy and Billy Edwards
The George Samuel Kreeger House, c. 1905 was awarded a Landmark Plaque to the current owners, Tammy and Billy Edwards during the Jan 18th, 2012 annual CHPS meeting.
The three story, three bed room, 2.5 bath American Foursquare is believed to have been built in 1905 for St. Patrick Hospital’s first Anesthesiologist, Dr. George Samuel Kreeger. It is thought to be the last home in Lake Charles to have gas lighting, four of the original gas lights remain and were converted to electric chandeliers. There are hardwood floors throughout the house and the windows are original. The parlor and dining room are connected by a large wood paneled pocket door also original to the house. Interesting features to note are the Lake Charles style columns along the wide front porch with its classic pediment and the scroll brackets under the eaves. At some later date an addition was added to the rear of the house. When the present owners, Billy and Tammy Edwards, began the full restoration from October 2010 –March 2011, the history of the house would be difficult to find. One of the previous owners had the abstract bound in leather and placed on the table in the foyer for all to see. After a spousal spat, it was thrown into the fireplace and burned. All records the new owners were able to find were located at Levingston Land and Title.A native of New Orleans, and a graduate of Tulane Medical School, Dr. Kreeger interned at Touro Infirmary and later studied in Paris, France and Vienna, Austria before coming to Lake Charles in 1902. His practice was first in the field of general medicine and later as an anesthetist at St. Patrick’s Hospital.