Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society Logo

 

Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society

Bungalow on Grove Street in Margaret PlaceMargaret Place Historical District was formed by the City Council in the mid 90's.

It follows the same guidelines as the Charpentier District.

Margaret Place is a considerably smaller area, but offers a variety of styles, including many bungalows.

For the 2012 Palm Sunday Tour of Homes, CHPS joined forces with the Margaret Place Historical District to present the 37th Annual Palm Sunday Tour of Homes along with the Margaret Place Fan Tour, and a Centennial Brunch.

 

From the Archives of the American Press

The following ad has been re-typed here to make it easier to read.  The copy from the American Press archives is below.  CHPS is grateful to the American Press for providing permission to post these images. They may NOT to be reprinted without express permission from the American Press.

Read more...

Plats of Margaret Place over the years

Four major plats of the area in and around the current Margaret Place are of interest. All can be found in any Margaret Place home or property abstract.

Long before Margaret and Allen Perkins purchased and lived here, the property was within what was known as the Sallier Subdivision.

This is the plat of the Perkins Homestead 

Read more...

Sanborn Map: Debakey to Pithon, Griffith Coulee to Wilson

According to the 1914 Sanborn Maps (courtesy of McNeese State University Archives Department), there were only 7 houses in the 2 block area from South Ryan (Now Dr. Michael DeBakey Drive) to the North side of Pithon and from the Griffith Coulee to the opposite side of Wilson (then known as "Allen" Avenue).

Read more...